On Tuesday evening, Heather, Kelly, Reid, and I entered the Chittenden Regional Correctional Facility (CRCF). Reid and I were invited to attend as intern support and observers as Kelly and Heather delivered the first of seven Spring Fostering Hope & Strength classes.
Jo advised me to try and sit back and observe the session as much as possible. "Watch Kelley and Heather do their thing," she said. "They are truly remarkable with the women.
We had some partner sharing and ice breaker activities. I was grateful for some space to talk one-on-one with some of our potential mentee matches. After having attended two mentor support circles, I was finally meeting the other half of our program: the incarcerated women we are all dedicated to support and serve as they work to regain their footing in the community post-incarceration.
I truly enjoyed getting to know about the women outside of their status of "incarcerated." One was an avid guitarist and LOVES Motley Crue; I promised her I would Google them when I got home - especially to listen to "Girls Girls Girls." I learned a handful of other activities and terms I promised I would go home and research, so I would return to session two educated and ready for deeper conversation. The session focused on "Hope" - what it means to us and where we hope to grow and learn. On my notecard, I wrote, "I hope to find the strength within - to find that everything I need is right there, within." I hope to help others find their own inner light as they observe my strength and light within, shining outward.
The following evening, I visited the other half of our program: our incredibly dedicated mentors. I put on a nice dress, even applied a little make-up, and attended the 15-year Mentor Appreciation Reception and Dinner at a mentor and sponsor's house in Shelburne, Vermont. Twenty mentors, alumni mentors, DOC representatives, Board members, and Mercy Connections current and alumni leaders were in attendance. We had heart warming opening remarks from the Dolly (Mercy ED), Sister Lindy (Mercy founder), Jo (VWMP director), and Kim Bushy (DOC Program Services Director), and then we all bonded over a delicious chili dinner, seltzer, and wine. At the end of the night, we all found ourselves supporting each other to leave a very icy and packed parking lot; we linked arms to stay warm, taking turns stepping out to guide or push (some stayed in the link and just laughed and jeered and admired the clear, star-filled sky above).Both experiences - the time in the facility, and the time at the incredibly stunning home in Shelburne - were, of course, very different. However, they were both also the same for me in that I was given the gift of attendance and presence in two separate events of sisterhood and bonding.
This week was a special journey, getting to know the women of the Vermont Justice and Mentoring Program.

No comments:
Post a Comment